Patrick is credited with returning to Slemish, bringing Christianity and building the first church at Glenarm in the 5th century AD in the townland of Glore 1½ miles west of the village. It was left under the care of MaCrevan and from this came the name of the parish, TICKMACREVAN, “The house of MaCrevan” from the Gaelic Teach Mac Crevan.
In front of the Castle are the ruins of St Marys and in 1765 St Patrick’s with it’s spire was built on the ruins of the old Franciscan Friary which dates from 1465.
Across the river is the black stone catholic church built 1875.
The Non Subscribing Presbyterian Meeting House, was built 1762 and recently restored and another Presbyterian Church built in Altmore Street 1835.
The more recent Baptist congregation meets in the old courthouse on the corner of Castle Street and Toberwine street.